Spent today working as a hard-working consultant to the oil sands mining industry. The industry is always short of qualified staff. And the jobs are demanding and well-paid. The challenges are immense as the issues are new, unique, and fun to address. As I cannot write about what is did and what I do (I have signed a confidentiality agreement), here is a job description from a headhunters who tried to recruit me recently and who and been told by some silent admirer that I could do the job. I do not know if the job is taken, but if you are interested, call around.
Position: Vice President Technical Services, Calgary, AB
Reporting to: President
As a member of the Executive Leadership Team, the VP Technical Services is responsible for providing leadership to all Geotechnical, Geological and Environmental Groups in Client Fort McMurray and Calgary locations. The VP Technical Services will also provide leadership and guidance to the Laboratory Services Team.
He will be responsible for business development for client including the identification and positioning for new emerging market opportunities.
Responsibilities And Keys Tasks:
- Participation in proposal and budget preparation, as well as monitoring Clients project capacity and capability
- Participation me resource planning and scheduling to ensure project deliverables can be delivered on time Clients expectations are met
- Manage current and upcoming project work and provide effective leadership to technical personnel
- Manage project budgets with respect to resourcing, equipment costs, expenses and capital expenditures
- Engage in the review audit of project reports
- Take a lead role in managing technical publications
- Develop quality standard programs for Client and steward their implementation. Ensure quality standard manuals, documentation and procedures are maintained and evaluated on a regular basis
- Ensure team members adhere to Clients quality standards and safety policies and programs at all times
- Provide leadership, guidance, support and direction to the Geotechnical, Geological, and Environmental and Laboratory Services teams and engage in such management functions as staffing, performance management, training and development, employee relations, compensation and disciplinary action.
- Manage and oversee major Clients accounts; maintain direct contact with Clients Senior Level Managers and Executives to continually ensure customer service standards are met and assess their operational needs and challenges to expand Clients offerings and generate continued Clients support.
- Research and review industry trends, competitor information and other market information to evaluate potential business opportunities and expand Clients base
- Ensure current Clients and potential Clients have a firm understanding of the company’s offerings through ongoing communication, presentations, proposals and Clients meetings.
Empowerment / Scope:
- All decisions relating to the successful performance of the Geotechnical, Geological, Environmental and Laboratory Services Teams
- Assignment of project work
- Decisions relating to staffing and other employee related decisions such as disciplinary action, training and performance management
- Changes to project scope in conjunction with Clients requirements
- All decisions relation to departmental and project expenditures
Skill, Experience, And Knowledge Base Requirements:
- A minimum of 10 years experience in a similar technical leadership role
- Exceptional technical ability and knowledge
- Strong supervisory and management skills.
- Strong Oil Sands industry experience
- Strong, active networks and contacts in the industry
Post-Secondary Education / Designation
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geology or Geotechnical Engineering
- Professional Engineer Designation
Safety Training / Certifications
- First Aid
- Applicable site Orientations
- Leadership in Safety Excellence
Supplementary Educational Needs
- Management training an asset