Here from the CostMine 2012 Survey Results for African Mine Salaries, Wages and Benefits are some South African mining salaries.
First let us look at engineers. Here are some annual salaries in thousands of US dollars:
- Mining Engineer (10 to 40 years experience) = 96 to 288
- Mining Engineer (1 to 10 years experience) = 43 to 90
- Rock Mechanics Engineer (5 to 35 years experience) = 86 to 151
- Engineering Superintendent (16 to 35 years experience) = 62 to 86
- Mechanical Engineer (5+ years experience) = 50 to 86
- Mine/Production Geologist (1 to 10 years experience) = 23 to 46
I see no salary for civil, geotechnical, or tailings engineers. Probably they all work for consultants who do not publish salaries.
Thus let us look at the salaries of some technical folk on South African Mines. Here again are annual salaries in thousands of US dollars:
- Artisan (Fitter, Millwright, Boilermaker) = 49 to 61
- Drill and Blast Foreman = 35 to 49
- Mechanic (Diesel, Heavy Equipment) = 24 to 49
- Laboratory Technician = 22 to 42
- Rigger = 23 to 57
The Survey appears not to deal with wages, which are the subject of so much unrest in South Africa. Keep in mind the above are salaries for relatively skilled folk, not the people who do the manual labor. They get considerably less, hence the unrest.